If you’ve got tickets to any of 2014’s biggest summer concert festivals, you’ve found the cure to summertime sadness! If not, you might be spending your days living vicariously through your friends facebook photos from their festival experiences! (Pro tip: don’t be that person.)
While summer concert festivals can guarantee good times and amazing memories, it’s important to be prepared! You don’t have to go in disaster-prepper style, a few must have items that will fit in your backpack (or fanny pack) will get you through your weekend. As they say, proper planning prevents poor performance! Enhance your festival fun with these goodies!
1) Sunscreen: A nasty sunburn can ruin your fun! Who wants to walk around a 3 day festival burnt up the whole time? Make sure to find a water resistant SPF! Plus spray nozzles make sunscreen even quicker to apply and make sure you’re fully covered! Goodbye weird tan lines! Remember, consistent application is more important in preventing burns then a high SPF, so spend your dollars on a larger size than a higher SPF number!
2) Baby Wipes: A must-have multi purpose item, not only will baby wipes serve you in your dreaded trips to the porta-potty, they will keep you feeling and smelling fresh throughout a hot day! You won’t regret having these when someone spills their beer on you in a crowd.
3) Dry Shampoo: Not just for the ladies, even guys can benefit from dry shampoo. Not only refreshing for your look, dry shampoo will soak up the excess oils and sweat from your scalp, making you more comfortable and less itchy. Bonus, your hair will smell amazing.
4) Snacks: Walking and dancing your worries away in the sunshine (see: heat) might be exactly how you pictured your perfect summer, but lasting through all three days of lollapalooza is going to take more than just sheer will, and the prices of food on festival grounds is usually expensive and not particularly nourishing. Not that I don’t enjoy myself a soft pretzel, but pack some sustenance that will be more lasting than cheap carbs. Look for something high in protein; this will satiate you longer since it takes longer to digest.
5) Sheets: I know blankets a popular option at festivals, but I like sheets. Sheets are inexpensive, and the microfibre ones are super soft, cool, and resist moisture! Sheets are inexpensive, so if they get lost or stolen, you won’t be out too much money.Bonus, sheets are easy to care for, so when that friend spills their beer on your spread, cleanup will be a breeze. (Protip: keep the little bag they come in, so you can easily fold them up and store them in your backpack!)
And there you have it, the must-haves for your perfect summer festival! You’ll have 100x’s more fun when you’re comfortable, so don’t be afraid to be that dork with the backpack full of snacks and sunblock! Embrace it! And don’t forget to bring extra, since you’ll probably make a lot of new friends thanks to your preparedness.
Check out Erin’s Warped Tour Prep Guide from last summer!